Steve is Actively Involved in the 11th District Community
- Co-Founder – Seattle Serves Non-Profit
- Tennis Tournament Director - Renton River Days
- Volunteer - Mountains to Sound Greenway
- Volunteer – Ronald McDonald House
- Volunteer – Salvation Army Renton Food Bank
- Annual Local Tennis Event Coordinator – Susan G. Komen Rally for the Cure
- Golf Tournament Director – Lindbergh Golf Fundraiser Tournaments
- Volunteer – Habitat for Humanity
Steve has actively been volunteering in the 11th district community since he attended Hazen High School. As a teacher at Lindbergh High School, he has rallied the youth to support several local causes, including Habitat for Humanity and the Ronald McDonald house. Hundreds of high school youth have volunteered at these various establishments, including the Renton Salvation Army Food Bank and their annual Toy & Joy and Thanksgiving Adopt-a-Family drives.
As a teacher, Steve serves daily as a role model for our kids and helps them to achieve their dreams. However, he also feels very strongly about helping our children to become successful in all aspects of life, so he coaches the tennis and golf teams at Lindbergh, as well as the golf team at Renton High School. In fact, when the Renton School District stopped funding our high school golf programs, he led the fight to keep golf alive in the district. Over the past six years, he has worked to raise over $100,000 to fund these programs. With these funds, over 100 student-athletes have had the opportunity to participate and learn the game of golf, something that they likely would not have been able to experience otherwise.
Last year, Steve co-founded a non-profit organization, Seattle Serves, to help students get more support outside of the classroom. The organization helps children with their physical, nutritional, financial and educational fitness. The pilot program is scheduled to begin this spring.